Image;motorcycle;kawasaki;bransons of yeovil

Compulsory Basic Training

Most learner motorcycle & moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT) before riding on the road.

  • At 16 years of age you can ride up to 50cc with CBT. (AM Licence)
  • At 17 years of age you can ride up to 125cc with CBT. (A1 Licence)

You will then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you'll have to take your CBT again.

You don't need to pass CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001.

What CBT involves:

  • introduction and eyesight check
  • practical on-site training
  • practical on-site riding
  • practical on-road training
  • practical on-road riding

When you complete compulsory basic training (CBT) to at least the minimum standard, you’ll get a certificate of completion – also called a DL196.Your certificate of completion lets you ride a moped or a motorbike (depending on your age) up to 125cc on the road with L plates for 2 years.